Ahh…the flowers, the chocolates, the homemade cards and the expensive dinners, all are quickly approaching Eastern’s campus as Valentine’s Day looms over us.
While some romantic activities are tried and true, there is also a plethora of new ideas that surrounds the Philadelphia region.
1. Indoor Picnic: Break out your hot chocolate and drive to Wawa for the sandwiches. An indoor picnic is a fun and romantic way to bond in the cold. All it really takes is some predetermined food items, a sheet or tablecloth and some Martinelli’s sparkling cider, and you will have yourself a great time.
2. Passionate Picasso: Rent or borrow a romantic movie, and head to Michael’s craft store for some canvases and paints. Have a contest to see who is the modern day Picasso. This is a great way to spend some quality time together while exercising your creative ability.
3. Watch the Sunrise: This one is for all the early birds out there. Pack the car before dawn and head on out to the Jersey shore. A good spot is Ocean Grove, which is about an hour and a half away from campus. Pack a breakfast and watch the sunrise.
Hint: Make sure to check sunrise times online so you don’t miss it!
4. New Hope, Pa: New Hope is a wonderful town located about a half-hour away from Eastern’s campus. There are lots of little shops to peek into, and it’s a great way to spend an afternoon.
5. Mutter Museum: The Mutter Museum, which is located at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, is not for the faint- hearted. It’s an eccentric and eclectic collection of scientific oddities. If you’re looking for something a little different, then the Mutter Museum is the place for you.
6. Longwood Gardens: Okay, this one is a given. Possibly the most romantic spot near Eastern, it is perfect for a stroll through the garden. Many proposals take place here, and that is a testimony to the sentiment that Longwood Gardens invokes.
7. Ice Skating at Penn’s Landing: Sure, you will be cold, but ice skating is a tried and true dating classic. Mix in the spectacular view found at Penn’s Landing, and you’re all set.
8. Planetarium: What better way to spend an evening with a loved one than to be gazing at the stars? Better yet, you get to stay inside the whole time. If it worked for Rachel and Ross, it could work for you!
9. Pet Store: For animal lovers, this is a sure winner. Head over to a local pet store where you are allowed to play with the puppies. This is a free and fun way to build some bonding time in the play pen.
10. Color Me Mine: This is a great store in Wayne where you select and then paint your own pottery. This would make a fun group date. The best part: once your pottery is completed, you have a gift for your sweetheart.
For more information, visit: